Bitsmith SoftwarePersonal Knowbase: unique free-form notes management software
Home News Support Contact

Welcome to the Personal Knowbase User Support Forums!

Personal Knowbase
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Congratulations on Version 3.2 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
DouglasMcFadzean
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Congratulations on Version 3.2 Reply with quote

What can I say except "great work"? I especially love the option to preview keywords along with articles, and also the option to show the index of related keywords. Onwards and upwards for Bitsmith! Very Happy

Edit: Been trying it out on Linux via Wine and Win XP. With the former, I've just discovered with this version and the previous version 3.1.4 that the spelling function doesn't work right. When you look at spelling options, nothing appears in the pull-down selection box for the 'Main language', even though I definitely installed dictionaries. Any ideas about what might be going wrong here?
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Thanks on the congrats!

DouglasMcFadzean wrote:
Been trying it out on Linux via Wine and Win XP. With the former, I've just discovered with this version and the previous version 3.1.4 that the spelling function doesn't work right. When you look at spelling options, nothing appears in the pull-down selection box for the 'Main language', even though I definitely installed dictionaries. Any ideas about what might be going wrong here?

Are you implying that the "Main Language" drop-down menu did work correctly in version 3.1.3?

If so, that may be a clue what's going on. When we released the new language dictionaries with 3.1.4, we had to make changes to the Windows Registry keys that are involved with the Spell Checker engine. These Registry changes are made when you install Personal Knowbase (by pksetup.exe). Did you install PK into Wine using pksetup.exe?
DouglasMcFadzean
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Same problem occurs in 3.1.3 too Reply with quote

Bitsmith Software wrote:
Are you implying that the "Main Language" drop-down menu did work correctly in version 3.1.3? ... Did you install PK into Wine using pksetup.exe?

Well no, but I checked it anyway - and it happens with 3.1.3 too. Wink
Yes, I installed all these versions into Wine with pksetup.exe (using -portable flag). Here's my SpellCheck.ini for 3.2 if it might help:

Code:
[SSCE User]
HelpFile=.:\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck\ssce.chm
LastSelectedLex=
MainLexFiles=sscebr.tlx,sscebr2.clx,correct.tlx,accent.tlx,tech.tlx
MainLexPath=.:\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck
UserLexFiles=userdic.tlx
UserLexPath=.:\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck
AllowAccentedCaps=1
BackupLex=0
CaseSensitive=1
DialogOriginX=0
DialogOriginY=0
IgnoreAllCapsWords=1
IgnoreCappedWords=1
IgnoreDomainNames=1
IgnoreHTMLMarkups=0
IgnoreMixedDigits=1
IgnoreMixedCase=1
IgnoreNonAlphaWords=1
IncludeAmpersand=0
IncludeSlash=0
PhoneticSuggestions=0
ReportDoubledWords=1
ReportMixedCaseWords=0
ReportUncappedWords=1
ReportWordsWithDigits=0
SplitContractedWords=0
SplitHyphenatedWords=1
SplitWords=0
StripPossessives=1
SuggestSplitWords=0
TypographicalSuggestions=1
CharSet=1
br.MainLexFiles=sscebr.tlx,sscebr2.clx,correct.tlx,accent.tlx,tech.tlx
am.MainLexFiles=ssceam.tlx,ssceam2.clx,correct.tlx,accent.tlx,tech.tlx
fc.MainLexFiles=sscefr.tlx,sscefr2.clx,tech.tlx
fr.MainLexFiles=sscefr.tlx,sscefr2.clx,tech.tlx
ge.MainLexFiles=sscege.tlx,sscegn2.clx,tech.tlx
gn.MainLexFiles=sscege.tlx,sscegn2.clx,tech.tlx
go.MainLexFiles=sscege.tlx,sscego2.clx,tech.tlx
AutoCorrect=0
MinSuggestDepth=50
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

That's helpful, as it's easier to look at an INI file than the Windows Registry! Wink

It looks like the Spell-checker can't find your dictionary files, which would happen if the paths were incorrect or the files were missing.

Here's a thought. I assume that Linux is case-sensitive like Unix? I know that the default installation creates a directory "Knowbase" with a capital "K". Can you verify that "\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck" is the exact correct path name for the spell checker? And if so, check to see if the .clx files are really there (for example, sscebr2.clx for British English).

If the files aren't where we think they are, we have an installation problem. If the files are there, then we have a file access problem.
DouglasMcFadzean
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Progress with SpellCheck.ini and Wine Reply with quote

Bitsmith Software wrote:
I assume that Linux is case-sensitive like Unix? I know that the default installation creates a directory "Knowbase" with a capital "K". Can you verify that "\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck" is the exact correct path name for the spell checker? And if so, check to see if the .clx files are really there (for example, sscebr2.clx for British English).

If the files aren't where we think they are, we have an installation problem. If the files are there, then we have a file access problem.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you - meetings all day - but I checked the case of all paths and filenames and they are correct. However, I've now managed to get the spell checker working fine by substituting the ".:\etc" paths with "Z:\etc" where Z is the drive assigned by Wine to the root directory. So the problem has something to do with the portable installation I presume. By the way, in knowbase.ini, a similar thing happens with '.:\etc' paths there, but in this case, the drive letter is correctly assigned when I look under Preferences / Files.

Hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Indeed. It is related to being a portable installation. The ".:\etc" paths are PK's attempt to dynamically assign paths in case the portable drive letter changes.

Look back at "Preferences > Files". Is the checkbox for "Default File Locations to Portable Drive" checked? (It should be if you have dots at the beginnings of your path names.) That setting tells PK to dynamically assign the drive letter. If your Wine drive letter doesn't change, you can leave this checkbox un-checked, so it will hard-code the Z drive letter.

Let's see if that fixes the problem.

I can't reproduce the problem with a regular portable installation, so it may be a conflict with Wine and dynamic drive letter assignment. I'll run it by the programmer. I'd like to understand why the dynamic letters aren't working, even if not using them fixes the problem.
DouglasMcFadzean
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Problem understood now Reply with quote

Bitsmith Software wrote:
Look back at "Preferences > Files". Is the checkbox for "Default File Locations to Portable Drive" checked? (It should be if you have dots at the beginnings of your path names.) That setting tells PK to dynamically assign the drive letter. If your Wine drive letter doesn't change, you can leave this checkbox un-checked, so it will hard-code the Z drive letter.

Let's see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, indeed, it does hard-code the drive letter as you say when the preference is unchecked. But what I found is that it hard-codes the drive letter K: which Wine has assigned to the /home/user directory, so no wonder PK can't find the Spellcheck files in:

Code:
.:\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck ->
K:\home\user\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck ->
\home\user\home\user\knowbase\SpellCheck !

So, I've just checked the "Default File Locations to Portable Drive" preference again and modified the path in SpellCheck.ini to

Code:
 .:\wine\knowbase\SpellCheck

and all is well!
Very Happy
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

That's good news. Your manually edited work-around should continue to work ok. With a "portable" installation, PK apparently will keep the dot at the beginning of the spell dictionary paths, but it won't overwrite the rest of the path that you edited.

I tested to see if this was a general problem with mapped drive letters, and it doesn't seem to be. So I think it's a conflict with the way PK is interpreting the drive letters assigned by Wine.

I've made a note so we can investigate further if something similar comes up again.
DouglasMcFadzean
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitsmith Software wrote:
That's good news. Your manually edited work-around should continue to work ok. With a "portable" installation, PK apparently will keep the dot at the beginning of the spell dictionary paths, but it won't overwrite the rest of the path that you edited.

Thanks for confirming the workaround, Laura.
It's just one of those silly things that it's good to know about and easy to fix. Wine is a huge achievement for its developers when you consider what's involved and it's good to know that PK is very well-behaved with it in general.

Best regards

Jump to: