Bitsmith SoftwarePersonal Knowbase: unique free-form notes management software
Home News Support Contact

Welcome to the Personal Knowbase User Support Forums!

Personal Knowbase
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Before Upgrading to v3.0 - BackUp Your *.KNO Files!! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
traderfm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Before Upgrading to v3.0 - BackUp Your *.KNO Files!! Reply with quote

Exclamation

Dear Users,

If like me you started using a prior version of Personal Knowbase with the "sample.kno" file AND never changed this file name AND you do not have the file safely backed up somewhere besides the default directory, the upgrade will overwrite your file and ALL your OLD data WILL be lost.

Always backup your data before upgrading to a new version of any program.

Always backup your data.

Always.

Lesson learned, right?

traderfm

Exclamation
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

I just want to say again how sorry I am about the loss of your date file.

Thanks for posting this warning here for the benefit of other users. We have taken to heart what happened to you and are adding a warning to the next version of the installation.

I can't resist using this opportunity to remind everyone of the importance of backing up your data, whether you're upgrading or not. One of my top support email requests is from people who ask me to re-issue their registration keys because they lost them in a hard drive crash. In my experience, everyone's hard drive crashes eventually. I can retrieve registration keys, but not your data.

There is a topic in the PK Help file on backing up files. Just search the Help Index for "backing up files". Basically, all you need to do is copy all .KNO files to another drive.

Just a friendly reminder.
traderfm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Before Upgrading to v3.0 - BackUp Your *.KNO Files!! Reply with quote

Laura,

Thanks for your help. This was 100% my own fault and I accept the responsibility for the loss of my data. Yes, it would be nice *if* the software did this or that, but, no excuses here, there is no substitute for the regular discipline of data backup. None! I can blame no one but myself.

Btw, I love "Personal Knowbase". I've used it for about a year and it is a great way to organize. There is an administrative cost (time and data entry) to using it, but there is an even greater cost (loss) to being unorganized and unprepared. Personal Knowbase is very useful.

Thank you for a great product. I know it will keep getting better... and so will my back up plan! Wink

traderfm

Last edited by traderfm on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdl
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi traderfm,

Sorry about you loss. Before I dl version 3.0 I was wondering if you (or Laura) could tell me if I can uninstall it if I don't like it. It appears that the trial version can be uninstalled but when I uninstall it will my version 2.2.2. be like it was before the 3.0 install or will I have to reinstall 2.2.2?

How about if I dl and install from the custumer update link. Will I be able to uninstall?

And finally, is it necessary to UNINSTALL 2.2.2. before installing v3.0 or do I install 3.0 over top of 2.2.2.?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

First of all, I want to mention that we have added a warning now to the setup process to warn users about overwriting the sample.kno file. Unfortunately, it's too late to save "traderfm", but hopefully, his misfortune will help someone else. Sad

sdl wrote:
Before I dl version 3.0 I was wondering if you (or Laura) could tell me if I can uninstall it if I don't like it. It appears that the trial version can be uninstalled but when I uninstall it will my version 2.2.2. be like it was before the 3.0 install or will I have to reinstall 2.2.2?

Unfortunately, it does look like you will need to re-install PK 2.2.2 if you install PK 3.0 then want to return to 2.2.2. This is because the uninstall would wipe out the Windows Registry settings for Personal Knowbase, which includes all your Preference settings.

This is the best procedure to follow to preserve your Preference settings:

(1) Make sure you have a backup of the PK 2.2.2 setup file. This could be the original pksetup.exe that you downloaded, or on a CD if you ordered or made one. (A copy of this file is also present in your Personal Knowbase program folder as "setup.exe".)

(2) Download the new pksetup.exe for PK 3.0.

(3) Install PK 3.0 by running the new pksetup.exe. Install it in the same folder over your PK 2.2.2 installation.

(4) Use PK 3.0 and see if you like it.

If you decide to return to PK 2.2.2:

(5) Re-install the original pksetup.exe file from PK 2.2.2 without uninstalling PK 3.0. Install it back over PK 3.0. You will see a warning that you are installing an old version, but you can ignore this warning.

Data Files:
Also consider your data files. When you open a file in the version 3.0 trial, you will convert the file into the new file format. So if you decide to uninstall 3.0, you would need to restore the 2.0 data files that you backed up.

(In case of an emergency, if you made changes to your data in 3.0 that you wanted to keep and use with version 2, there is a way to revert a file from version 3 to version 2 format. If you need to revert a file, look in the PK 3.0 Help file Index under "converting data files"; there is a topic called "Reverting a Data File to Version 2 Format". You would need to do this before re-installing PK 2.2.2 over PK 3.0.)

sdl wrote:
How about if I dl and install from the custumer update link. Will I be able to uninstall?

Actually, it's the same install file as on the trial page, so the same comments apply.

sdl wrote:
And finally, is it necessary to UNINSTALL 2.2.2. before installing v3.0 or do I install 3.0 over top of 2.2.2.?

No, we do not recommend uninstalling your previous version before installing PK 3.0. If you uninstall, you will lose your old Preferences settings. If you install on top of version 2, the new version picks up your previous settings.

I hope this helps,
sdl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. You have covered all possibilites so hopefully I wont mess anything up Wink

I am printing them out to refer to and keep as I recommend everyone do.

Have a great weekend.

Jump to: