Bitsmith SoftwarePersonal Knowbase: unique free-form notes management software
Home News Support Contact

Welcome to the Personal Knowbase User Support Forums!

Personal Knowbase
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Database verses attachment and link file location « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
eeman79
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Database verses attachment and link file location Reply with quote

I just got my company to approve several copies of PK to use for engineering notes, specs and storage/retrieval of troubleshooting info for production. I wanted to have separate Ele and Mech databases and thus also have separate linked docs. I just realized that all instances of the reader will go to the same directory for linked docs. With hundreds of docs linked to the articles, I really need separate directories. I also fell into the problem of link file path when I copied my database over to the company server. All links were broke of course. I changed them all to simple file name and set the preferences to direct to the Electrical linked/attachement directory I set up (as I read in the forum). That works but the mechanical guys will not be able to link docs to there database unless they store them in the electrical directory or I create a single attachment directory for all. Any chance there will be a relative path fix/add to a maintenance release soon. I read loads of forum articles talking about it since 2006 or so. Really need a better fix than put all engineering files linked to a database in the same directory. Thanks a bunch for a great product. This could be a very good use of the product in a commerical production environment if I can make it work.

Last edited by eeman79 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

The ability to use relative paths with hypertext links and attachments to files was added in Sept. 2008 with version 3.1. More info is in the help file (online copy here: http://www.bitsmithsoft.com/pkhelp/hypertextlinkdialogbox.htm - see section on "Links to Relative Files").

However, you are correct that this only allows links to be relative to the Attachments folder specified in Preferences>Files, which is the same for all databases. There is currently no way to set paths relative to the database folder.

I would also like to see the ability to set links relative to the data file location. I know I would use it. I'll see what I can do to push for this option.

Regards,
eeman79
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your info. I seemed to have missed that fact. With that information, I was able to fix my problem such that 2 groups can have separate databases and attachment folders and still preserve a way to later move the database and attachments folder if needed.

Hopefully, the other engineers here will find this as useful as I have for several years. If they do, I think we will be a test for how big a database can get and still be responsive. This company has over 94,000 employees world wide. Maybe I'll get a "ata boy" from my suggestion and proven implementation of a solution. Thanks again.
Bitsmith Software
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

I'm glad that info was useful.

eeman79 wrote:
I think we will be a test for how big a database can get and still be responsive. This company has over 94,000 employees world wide.

Do let us know at what point you start seeing response issues. Technically, there's no limit to the number of articles PK can handle, but eventually some functions will slow down. I know we had one customer doing historical research with tens of thousands of articles. At some point, the hardware and version of Windows will make more of a difference than anything. (Things slow down earlier in Win Vista than in XP. I hope Win 7 will be happier.)

Regards,

Jump to: